Submit an Exhibit Proposal
The Southeastern Connecticut Cultural Coalition and Connecticut Airport Authority (CAA) established an art in the airport program at Groton – New London Airport in the Fall of 2017. The program’s purpose is to showcase the region’s uniqueness, history, industry, culture and geography through visual arts in the airport’s main terminal located at 155 Tower Avenue in Groton.
Fact Sheet – Exhibitor List and Descriptions 2017-2021 HERE.
The Cultural Coalition and the CAA seek arts or community organizations, with desire and ability to take advantage of an off-site exhibit space that engage new audiences, and who voluntarily partner in this endeavor.
Call for exhibitions – The Cultural Coalition and CAA are seeking Quarterly (3-month) exhibition proposals beginning January 2023.
- Interested exhibitors will identify, curate and manage wall displays of mounted and framed originals, reproductions and prints of paintings and photographs; and possibly arrange special events to promote such displays. Examples of the layout and dimensions available for wall art exhibition space can be seen below in photos, on our Facebook page, or by request. There is 55’ total linear wall space. A new hanging system was installed in January 2022.
- Aviation-theme exhibits welcome.
Interested in having an exhibit at the Airport? Here’s a few details:
- Art displays are popular with both airport guests and the media
- Increasingly, airport art displays expand opportunities to promote regional artists to new audiences through social media
- The terminal building at Groton – New London Airport is open daily from 7 am to 6 pm, and as needed to accommodate business operations.
- Busy season for the airport is typically April through mid-November
- Terminal parking is easily accessible and free to the public
- Exhibit can be from a community organization, arts organization, individual artist or group of artists
- Exhibitor is responsible for coordinating exhibit with Airport and installing artwork
An example of the layout and dimensions available for wall art exhibition space is:
- Sixteen (16) Horizontal Panels OD at 1′ 11 1/2″ by 1′ 8 1/2″
- Four (4) Vertical Panels OD 1′ 7 1/2″ by 2′ 1/2″
- 55’ total linear wall space allows for each panel to hang 8 inches away from the next.
To submit a proposal: Send your letter/email of interest to: Wendy Bury, Executive Director, Cultural Coalition, W.Bury@CultureSECT.org
Letter should include name of organization/artist, contact person, subject of exhibit, brief description of exhibit and artwork included (type, quantity, format) and time of year preferred.
An exhibit plan including title, description, photos of items for exhibition, and brief artist bio/organization description will be needed for exhibit approval/press release.
Additional partner for the Art At The Airport program!
Groton Public Library provides companion programs to the quarterly exhibits on view at the airport.
Need More Information?
For more information about this exciting opportunity contact: Roz Luongo, Connecticut Airport Authority, (860) 292-2058.
Learn More About Visual Arts Programs at Airports
National Academy of Sciences’ Visual Arts Programs at Airports: A Synthesis of Airport Practice
Procedures to Submit a Proposal:
Send your letter/email of interest to: Wendy Bury, Executive Director, Southeastern CT Cultural Coalition, W.Bury@CultureSECT.org