Art of Healing – Traveling Exhibit
THE ART OF HEALING – A traveling exhibit
The Art of Healing was initiated by seven Southeastern Connecticut social and community service organizations with the idea of creating a traveling public art exhibit to showcase the arts as a tool for healing and raise awareness of these organizations providing arts-based health and wellness programs. The group was awarded an Office of the Arts/DECD FY2019 Regional Initiative Grant (REGI) for this collaborative project.
To create the artwork for the exhibit, each organization worked with a professional artist who helped interpret and share the stories of healing, resiliency, and wellness. The result is a diverse group of artwork, including paintings, collage, video and journaling that will travel to various venues in Southeastern Connecticut from May to September.
The Art of Healing is an outcome of the Arts in Health Collaborative administered by the Southeastern CT Cultural Coalition that focuses on promoting the link between arts and well-being. The organizations meet monthly to discuss resource sharing, collective purchasing, and coordinated field trips to arts and cultural sites.
Link to article in July/Aug 2019 edition of Artscope Magazine – “New England’s Premier Culture Magazine.”
May 22-June 8 Marquee Gallery, 74 State Street, New London
June 17-July 5 New London Main Street Gallery, 311 State Street, New London
July 15-Aug. 4 Foundry66 Co-Work Space, 66 Franklin Street, Norwich
Aug. 19-Aug. 30 Alexey von Schlippe Gallery at UConn Avery Point, 1084 Shennecossett Road, Groton
Sept. 6- Sept. 30 Reliance Health Gallery, 40 Broadway, Norwich
Oct. 1-Oct. 31 Cragin Memorial Library, 8 Linwood Ave., Colchester
Participating organizations and artists:
· Artreach, Inc. – Norwich worked with artists Clint & Brandon Slowik
· Child & Family Agency of Southeastern CT, Inc. – throughout SECT worked with artist Roxanne Steed
· Horses Healing Humans – Stonington worked with artist Jane Bishow-Semevolos (email@example.com)
· Our Piece of the Pie – throughout Eastern CT worked with artist Julianna Whitford-Anthony
· Reliance Health, Inc. – Norwich worked with artist Jerry Wagner
· Sound Community Services, Inc. – New London worked with artist Katie Fogg
· The Light House – New London worked with JPO Art
Learn about each organization, artist, and their project process through this Art of Healing traveling art exhibit.