Cultural District – Stonington Community Information & Input Sessions
To learn more about Connecticut Municipal Cultural Districts, click HERE.
The Town of Stonington is exploring the formation of a Cultural District.
A Cultural District
Is a specific area of a city or town identified by the municipality that has a number of cultural facilities, activities and/or assets – both for profit and nonprofit. The ability for a municipality to establish a Cultural District was enacted by Legislative Statute in 2019.
• a walkable, compact area that is easy for visitors to recognize.
• a center of cultural activities – artistic and economic.
• a place in your city/town where community members congregate, and visitors may enjoy those places that make a community special.
Why a Cultural District
• Increase coordination of efforts, resources, and assets
• Market arts and culture attractions to visitors
• Promote and encourage artists, entrepreneurs and creative businesses
• Promote tourism and increase visitation
• Strengthen distinctive character of communities
• Create a plan to drive economic growth and expand tax base
• Support Sustainable CT certification https://sustainablect.org/actions-certifications/
• Highlight culture and history of your community
CT Office of the Arts/DECD – CT Cultural Districts Standards and Criteria: PDF
Got something to say?