Cultural District – Stonington Community Information & Input Sessions
To learn more about Connecticut Municipal Cultural Districts, click HERE.
To register to attend on Tuesday, July 13 from 4pm to 5pm at La Grua Center, CLICK HERE.
The Town of Stonington is exploring the formation of a Cultural District.
A Cultural District
Is a specific area of a city or town identified by the municipality that has a number of cultural facilities, activities and/or assets – both for profit and nonprofit. The ability for a municipality to establish a Cultural District was enacted by Legislative Statute in 2019.
• a walkable, compact area that is easy for visitors to recognize.
• a center of cultural activities – artistic and economic.
• a place in your city/town where community members congregate, and visitors may enjoy those places that make a community special.
Why a Cultural District
• Increase coordination of efforts, resources, and assets
• Market arts and culture attractions to visitors
• Promote and encourage artists, entrepreneurs and creative businesses
• Promote tourism and increase visitation
• Strengthen distinctive character of communities
• Create a plan to drive economic growth and expand tax base
• Support Sustainable CT certification https://sustainablect.org/actions-certifications/
• Highlight culture and history of your community
CT Office of the Arts/DECD – CT Cultural Districts Standards and Criteria: PDF