The Office of the Arts is the state agency charged with fostering the health of Connecticut’s creative economy. Part of the state’s Department of Economic and Community Development, the Office of the Arts is funded by the State of Connecticut as well as the National Endowment for the Arts.
Our goal is to inspire, empower, educate and transform. We believe the arts are a human right, and we envision a world where the arts, in all forms, are embedded in everyday life.
We strive to animate a culture of creativity across Connecticut by supporting arts making and arts participation for all people.
- Grant programs that invest in Connecticut artists and arts organizations and encourage the public’s participation as creators, learners, supporters and audience members
- Programs and services that connect people to the arts and help build vital communities across the state
- Training and professional development opportunities that support the ongoing development of our artists and art educators
- Resources that collect and disseminate state, regional and national arts information resources via communications, directories, publications, data-sharing, one-on-one consultations and referrals
The Connecticut Office of the Arts partners with Regional Service Organizations that serve as local field offices to constituents and citizens. This statewide network of designated service agencies plays a key role that is mutually beneficial to the state’s citizens and creative economy, the regional arts and cultural infrastructure, and COA’s goals, programs and services.
The role of the Designated Regional Service Organizations is to support Connecticut’s economy by providing arts and cultural leadership at a regional level. These organizations:
- develop, convene, and sustain the arts industry and develop and sustain cross-sector relationships;
- provide coordinated marketing, technical assistance, advocacy, and many other services and programs;
- support specific COA programs and services.
The following agencies provide services in their respective regions:
- Arts Council of Greater New Haven
- Arts & Culture Collaborative, Waterbury Region
- Cultural Alliance of Fairfield County
- Cultural Alliance of Western Connecticut
- Cultural Coalition (serving southeastern & northeastern Connecticut)
- Greater Hartford Arts Council
- Northwest Connecticut Arts Council
- Shoreline Arts Alliance
See Designated Regional Service Organizations page for contacts and municipalities served.